Re: [LAU] headphones

From: Paul Coccoli <pcoccoli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 17 2008 - 14:29:02 EEST

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Florin Andrei <florin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> One exception to this rule is Grado. They seem to consistently deliver
> good phones. Call them too bright if you wish, but their cheaper phones
> are like their more expensive models, only less, if that makes sense.
> Definitely better than the usual junk at the audio store, although the
> "Grado sound" may not be to everyone's liking. Heck, for regular
> everyday listening I can't stand them either. :shrug: :rolleyes: :scowl:

I love my Grado SR-60s. I think I paid $65US. Yes, they are on the
bright side, but I like that. They're not the most comfortable pair
of headphones, but not too bad. Bass is ample; much better than the
speakers I have connected to my computer (small Celestions bookshelf
speakers with a Tascam power amp).

For the in-ear types, I have the Etymotic Research ER-6, which also
sound very good but again, since they go in your ear canal, they're
much less comfortable than the Grados. The isolation is amazing
though. I can't hear anything else when I'm listening to "dense"
(meaning heavy) music on them. Also about $65 US, I think.