Re: [LAU] best hardware for pro audio recording?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 25 2008 - 21:57:47 EEST

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 11:25 AM, b m <otherbobby@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I am going to build a new machine specifically for recording and producing
> professional audio. I am somewhat new to Linux (and to building computers),
> but I would like to dual boot XP and Ubuntu and gradually switch over to
> Ubuntu for my recording projects.
>
> I want to make sure all of the hardware I buy is Linux compatible. Does
> anyone have recommendations for what to buy, or what not to buy?
>
> Or, what's your dream setup for a Linux audio machine?

Depends a lot on how much stuff you want to hook up externally. How
many channels do you want to record at the same time? Are you going to
mix in software (Ardour) or go to an external digital board? How much
automation do you require? How many channels of external effects
(reverb, etc.) running at the same time? What base frequency are you
going to run? (44.1K, 96K, 192K, etc.)

As a good starting point I've been very happy with my HDSP 9652.
They're getting a bit old-school as they are PCI based so they aren't
great for mobile rigs. I've not tried any of the 1394 devices under
Linux (ala the Digi 002 devices that I've used under Windows) so I
cannot help with that.

External devices such as a D/A for your mains and other things can be
discussed when we get a better idea of what you're trying to build.

- Mark