Re: [LAU] zoom h2

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 21:13:27 EEST

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 5:35 PM, drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 August 2008 12:51:33 jdd wrote:
>> Hello :-)
>>
>> I tried to search the archives, but didn't succed, so I hope y
>> question was not too often asked :-(
>>
>> I use openSUSE 11 and want to have a zoom H2 as USB input mike.
>>
>> When I connect the device to my laptop, I can use it a headphone
>> driver (I hear the sound from the h2 headphones), but can't have any
>> sound recorded by audacity
>
> Can't help directly, I have an H4. The H4 can record to ardour just fine.
>
> If you know about jack, try jack and qjackctl.
>>
>> I kno my laptop have a defective sound card, internal mike and mike
>> inoput don't works (not verified recently though - the internal
>> don't), but I don't know if this have anything to do with the H2 (USB)
>>
>> I use kmix as mixer and all is open but I don't see any way to switch
>> between the two sound cards
>>
>> thanks
>> jdd
>
> all the best,
>
> drew

I have a zoom H2, it is 100% compatible with Linux.

I can use it as a USB sound card, but only with two of its microphones
at a time, and a maximum sampling rate of 48k (I think these are also
limitations under any other OS, because of USB bus speed).

I have found it more useful to record using the H2 alone, then grab
the files off of it as if it were a flash drive.