Re: [LAU] [ANN] guitarix first release

From: Justin Smith <noisesmith@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2008 - 21:33:24 EEST

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Hermann Meyer <brummer-@web.de> wrote:
> guitarix is a simple mono amplifier to jack (JackAudioConnektionKit) with one
> input and two output's. Designed to get nice trash/metall/rock/guitar sounds.
> Avaliable are the controls for bass, treble, gain, balance, distortion,
> freeverb, impulse response (pre state), crybaby(wah),
> feedback/feedforward-filter and echo . A fixed resonator will use, when
> distortion is disabled.
> guitarix based on Gtk, a great part is also realesed as ladspa plugin.
> guitarix is licensed under GPL
> Homepage with screenshots:
> https://brain.kicks-ass.org/~hermann/guitarfx.html
>
> For capture guitarix make use of jack_capture from Kjetil S. Matheussen. If
> you dont have it installed, look here:
>
> http://old.notam02.no/arkiv/src/?M=D
>
> I use faust to build the prototype and will say thanks to
> : Julius Smith <http://ccrma.stanford.edu/realsimple/faust/>
> : Albert Graef <http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-mainz.de/~ag/ag.html>
> : Yann Orlary <http://faust.grame.fr/>
>

> regards hermann

I have attempted to translate your guitarix webpage to idiomatic,
grammatical, and properly spelled English:

guitarix is a simple Linux amplifier for jack (Jack Audio
Connektion Kit) with one input and two outputs. Designed to get nice
thrash/metal/rock guitar sounds. There are controls for bass, treble,
gain, balance, distortion, freeverb, impulse response (pre state),
crybaby(wah) and echo . A fixed resonator will be used when
distortion is disabled. For 'pressure' in the sound you can use the
feedback and feedforward sliders.

You can also start guitarix with no GUI, simply add the parameter
'nogui' to the command line. The audio thread will start and you can
change the preset by entering the number (0 - 6), start the GUI by
entering 'g', and quit the GUI from the GUI menu. To quit the audio
thread enter 'q' at the command line. A great part of guitarix is
also realized as Ladspa plugin.

For capture guitarix makes use of jack_capture from Kjetil
S. Matheussen. If you don't have it installed, look here:
http://old.notam02.no/arkiv/src/?M=D You don't need jack_capture to run
guitarix, but the capture button won't work without jack_capture and
you get a warning whenever you push that button. guitarix only looks
in /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin for jack_capture. Record will always
go to ~/.guitarix/session.xxx You can choose the file format from the
menu.

If you wont to save a session, rename or remove this file
before you record your next session. You also will need vorbis-tools
for encoding to ogg: http://vorbistools.sourceforge.net/

I used faust for prototyping,
Thanks to the following for sharing thier knowhow:
Julius Smith, Albert Graef, Yann Orlary