Re: [LAU] sourcing TI FireWire PCMCIA cards

From: Dmitry Baikov <dsbaikov@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 23 2008 - 22:51:08 EEST

On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> this would mean I'd buy the PCMCIA interface; I wonder though if my next
> machine will still provide a PCMCIA interface? I guess they will die rather
> sooner than later.
As Martin Horn already noted, RME released PCI-E (and ExpressCard)
adapter for HDSP line.
And I generally agree that RME is the best (own a Multiface II myself).

> True. Frankly, my Behringer 28 channel MX 2804 still is a good solution, but
> audio quality is poor. I have a lot of problems with hum and stuff. That's
That comes with no surprise - it's Behringer - (their logo - ear in a
triangle, means: Warning! Keep your ears away!)
I'm joking, and don't want to start a flame war here, Behr has its
place on a market, but you get what you pay for.

> why I want to replace it with something more reliable. Any mixer you would
> recommend?
I use an inexpensive Soundcraft MPM12/2 mixer and is pleased with the quality.
It has 12 mono channels, 2 stereo, 2 subgroups and 3 sends, with 2
switchable pre/post.

But seems you need more channels. Take a look at MPM20, or M12 if you
need more than 2 stereo channels.
Soundcraft multi-purpose mixers -
http://www.soundcraft.com/products.asp?product_category_id=2

Also check Allen&Heath ZED-series - http://www.allen-heath.com/zed/

Soundcraft/A&H are not a very cheap mixers, comparing to
Behr/Phonic/etc.., but they are IMHO quite reasonably priced,
have good sound quality and will be cheaper in $$ per channel than any
soundcard solution, as well as being much more hands-on.
And you get per-channel EQ as well :)

Also, consider getting one main mixer, and few small ones as a
submixers, instead of a very big one.
This _may_ be a cheaper and more flexible solution.

Regards,
Dmitry.