[LAU] native linux vsts (esp glitch)

From: Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 14:03:40 EEST

Hi

I recently bought energyXT2 (commercial, native linux daw) and now I'm
looking for vst plugins. It seems that the program could be run through
wine (supporting windows vsts in dll-format), but somehow I have the
feeling that running the native version is faster and should be more
stable. So my questions are:

1) What would must-haves native-linux vsts (I have freeverb, the mda's
and the loser-plugins + a few more)?

2) I contacted the author of glitch (http://illformed.org/blog/glitch/),
which seems like a really cool tool, asking if was interested in
providing a linux version of glitch. Can anything in general be said
regarding how hard it would be to supply a linux version? I guess it's
not only a matter of under compiling, right? I'm willing to help as much
as I can, but my programming is no that great, are others interesting in
helping, for instance by porting glitch, should the developer be willing
to play along.

3) I know there are some non-free issues with vsts, but what exactly are
those, and provided I'm right in assuming that the linux audio (dev)
community has a negative attitude vsts, what would the main arguments
against it be?

4) Anyone here using vsts (both native and windows)? If so how do you
use them, in which hosts, and with which benefits/problems? Who do you
use them over dssi or ladspa alternatives?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte