Re: [LAU] [ANN] Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard 0.1.0

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 20:17:04 EEST

On Monday, September 1, 2008, hermann meyer wrote:
> I get the same results, vmpk need's to much cpu power and it follow the
> mouse to slow. When I send singnals from vkeybd or jack-keyboard to vmpk
> input, it reflect the input on the gui, also to slow, and there is no
> output. But anyway, it looks good and is welcome.
>
> regards hermann

Thanks for your comments. Being the first public alpha release of the program,
you may understand that the code is not yet very well optimised :)

You can get some compiler optimisation when building the program, but don't
expect too much improvement. There are two ways. First, using a predefined
configuration type:

$ cmake . -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

The CMake "Release" type uses the compiler flags: "-O3 -DNDEBUG". Other
predefined build types are "Debug", "RelWithDebInfo", and "MinSizeRel".
The second way is to choose the compiler flags yourself:

$ export CXXFLAGS="-O2 -m32 -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -DNDEBUG -fexceptions"
$ cmake .

The above CXXFLAGS are only a sample. You need to find the better ones for
your own system.

BTW, if you want to install the program at some place other than the default
(/usr/local) use the following CMake option:
$ cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

The vmpk's input port is not routed to the output, which doesn't work as
a "thru" port. I don't see it as a need in Linux, but maybe this feature will
be introduced for other platforms in the future (it is already in the TODO
list.)

Regards,
Pedro