Re: [LAU] First commercial VSTi for Linux released

From: Pieter Palmers <pieterp@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 06 2008 - 13:54:59 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 11:50:12PM +0300, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
>
>> Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I'll embrace LASH as soon as its authors bump up the
>>> version number and convert it to OSC, and allow app
>>> developers to use this directly instead of passing
>>> through a library that doesn't fit in at all with the
>>> architecture of my apps. It's actually *very close*
>>> to being OSC, the effort required would be minimal.
>>>
>>> (posted almost the same a year ago)
>> Do you talk about lash 0.5.x or about the new development, 0.6.x that
>> uses dbus instead of custom protocol (and is not released yet)?
>
> Probably 0.5 then.
>
> Dbus is not the solution, it's not networked. The first app
> I'd like to use LASH for uses four networked computers, three
> of them headless, which is why I want a session manager.
> Guess I'll have to brew my own then.

For the record: AFAIK DBUS is perfectly capable of networked operation.
As far as I know Arnold Krille already has it running networked for one
of his experiments. It's a rather undocumented feature though, and I
could be wrong. I didn't try it myself (yet).

And even if it's not, there is no reason why a simple OSC<->lash bridge
could not be built. IMHO that definitely beats writing a custom session
manager.

Greets,

Pieter