Re: [LAU] Exciter / Enhancer Plugin [WAS:] Linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 19, Issue 9

From: Reuben Martin <reuben.m@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 01:36:26 EEST

Back on Thursday 11 September 2008, Emanuel Rumpf was like:
> 2008/9/10 Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>:
> > On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 01:01:58PM +0200, Martin Horn wrote:
> >> I don't know if such a thing exists for the linux audio world, but to
> >> get the effect of an exciter you basically need multiband dynamics. That
> >> is a compressor/ expander that works in multiple frequency bands which
> >> are separated by crossovers.
> >
> > That would be more a 'compellor' than an exciter.
> > Easy to confuse, both are originally from Aphex.
>
> Someone wrote a kind of tutorial some time ago:
> http://ardour.org/node/405
>
> Would be nice to have this as jack-rack file or in rackarrack.
>
> exciter : audio-signal => highpass
> => dissortion => add to audio-signal
> enhancer: audio-signal => (different) bandpass filters => dissortion
> => add to audio-signal
> (so described in wikipedia)

Exciter has nothing to do with dynamics. And not really anything to do with
distortion so much as harmonics.

You use a harmonics generator, cut the fundamental, and add in odd ordered
harmonics, with each successice odd harmonic going in opposite directions.
The lower order harmonics are not very noticeable, but very smooth. The
higher order harmonics are much more noticeable, but very abrasive sounding.
I generally use all of the first, and about half of the third.

It goes:

original signal => high pass filter => harmonics generator => attenuator
(variable depending on how much you want to add in) => mix back in with
original signal.

Here's a jack-rack file demonstrating it. Route your source into the
jack-rack, and then direct jack-rack's output to the same destination as your
source. Change levels on the "simple amplifier" to adjust how much you need
added back in.

You need the proper ladspa plugins installed for this...

-Reuben