Re: [LAU] Linux audio course Rotterdam

From: Grammostola Rosea <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 12 2008 - 21:15:26 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 06:50:42PM +0200, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
>

>> When you give a course it cost you: time, traveling costs
>> (Brussels > R'dam) organization, making a course book (and copy it?) and
>> linux audio usage, educational and presentation skills.... that could
>> deserve some money....
>>

> I agree. OTOH, one reason why the course is given in
> English in the centre of the Dutch/Flemish language
> region may be that a lot of the course material is
> just copied from material available on the web.
> In that case I just hope that Mr. Moors has all
> the copyright issues sorted out.

I don't think it feels good if someone makes an documentation and a
other person is selling it... Or making an app and someone is selling
it... (I have to dive more into the values of GNU and open source...).
But if you don't want that to happen you should take care of your
copyright specifications...

On the other hand if 'we as community' are to negative to this kind of
commercial courses, it will turn out against us... What I mean is this,
if someone in R'dam is able to make 25 people enthusiastic and capable
in using gnu/linux for audio and music creation, the community will
become larger, more people will use the free audio apps and there is a
change that this will improve the quality. Also the change for money
donation will become larger when more people uses the apps.... And I do
know people who gives courses linux for free etc. But didn't read about
or met a person who is giving a course linux audio for free... So maybe
people are more willing to give such a course if it gets payed...
And with the background of the 'teacher' of the course in R'dam (he was
a member of a relative well known band from belgium) I like to see this
course as a change and less as a threat...