Re: [LAU] Linux audio course Rotterdam

From: drew Roberts <zotz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 13 2008 - 15:29:11 EEST

On Saturday 13 September 2008 01:27:37 david wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:

> >> Really, what is the problem here?
> >>
> >> If you think the course is too expensive ... don't go.
> >>
> >> If you can do better ... offer your own course.
> >>
> >> If you want to teach for free then do so; if you want to get paid, then
> >> charge.
> >>
> >> If you don't want your stuff copied off the web and used in a commercial
> >> manner: don't post or affix a "not for commercial use" copyright. BTW,
> >> the GNU licence doesn't support this so you'll have to use a different
> >> one (correct me if I'm wrong).
> >>
> >> Isn't the whole point of freedom the ability to do what you want to do?
> >>
> >> I have donated a lot of software over the years ... and I've sold stuff
> >> as well. But, one thing I will not do anymore is to play for free. Too
> >> many times I've done just that for some good cause which doesn't have
> >> any budget this year ... and then next year, when they do have some
> >> money, they hire and pay someone from out-of-town. I'm sure the same
> >> applies to teaching.
> >
> > We all likely tend to develop our own rules of thumb over the years. I
> > try not do do any windows tech support gratis for friends and family
> > anymore. I have moved away from windows to avoid those problems and paid
> > the price in various ways to do so. I don't see why I should pay for them
> > not doing so.
> >
> >> Please don't confuse freedom and free beer!
> >
> > Indeed. Also, look at the speaking fees famous people get. I am sure a
> > part of the fee goes to being able to say you rubbed shoulders with that
> > famous person as opposed to the content of the speech you heard.
> >
> > And as someone has already pointed out in another way, if this course is
> > successful, everyone now has a model to follow should they wish to do so.
> >
> > Re playing for free for charities and the like. Perhaps do so with a bill
> > that comes due should they pay another act in the future? (If you value
> > the charity that is.)
>
> No, that probably wouldn't go anywhere. Better to work out a *price*
> with the charity (based on how much you might charge normally) - and
> make it a donation and documented as such by the charity. Then you get a
> tax benefit (at least in the US).

Got you. I would have no such tax incentives here though. However, doing it
the way you say would only give you the tax advantage and might still leave
you miffed next year when they actually pay out of town talent as in the
original example right? Or am I missing something key?

I can see how your idea could work for a person in a high tax bracket and who
charged at the high end of their normal rates who would normally give a
reduced rate to the charity.

all the best,

drew