Re: [LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano (132MiB, new improved version)

From: Stephen Doonan <stephen.doonan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 00:02:19 EEST

Roberto Gordo Saez wrote:
> This is the new release of the Yamaha Disklavier Pro acoustic grand
> piano soundfont. It is much improved, including a total of 5 velocity
> layers.
> [...]
> Download the soundfont here:
> http://zenvoid.org/i/audio.html

Thank you very much, Roberto, for creating and making available this
soundfont. I would very much like to try it. However, I don't know the
most about soundfonts and how to use them.

I downloaded the soundfont and imported it into qsynth, to play with my
external MIDI keyboard. Is this the way you yourself would use the
soundfont (with qsynth)? Or would you load the soundfont into some other
software or hardware?

In qsynth, the base layer (piano) is triggered on MIDI channel 1, and
the other velocity layers (piano layer 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5) are assigned (by
default, anyway) to MIDI channels 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

So, I'm wondering how to trigger the velocity layers. Perhaps this is
not something qsynth can do. I don't know, because I have mostly used
external hardware, MIDI tone generators, and for piano, the piano
samples by William Coakley for the Yamaha Motif Rack and the Roland
Fantom XR tone generators.

However, I would very much like to try to use your soundfont, if it is
possible.

Thanks again for your efforts and for this gift to the Linux and
open-source world.

Steve