Re: [LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Roberto Gordo Saez <roberto.gordo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 16:21:55 EEST

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 02:44:39PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> If you want to be ideologically clear, you _have to_ use a free format. Both
> gig and sf2 where invented as proprietary formats. I think the only real free
> alternative is something like specimen...

Using the sf2 format is not a problem for me, it is documented and has
at least one free implementation. I don't claim that my point of view is
the best and the only one truth, of course you can use gig of other
format if you prefer, but I simply can't (neither want) to change my
mind, and I absolutely will never support the format until at least one
(completely) free implementation exists.

> Otherwise I believe gig is considered the more professional format. And might
> make your soundfonts popular in the Mac/Win world too.

This is not my goal. I don't want to make those soundfonts for
popularity, I want to make them for freedom. There are many popular
proffesional sound kits out there, and they are better quality for
sure.

I would have no problem to purchase a proffesional sound set and use
it, I can afford it. But that's not what I want.

I don't care how many people use those soundfonts, I do care for people
who wants to use free digital instruments under free software. This is
a project I'm doing just for fun, there will be no customers and nobody
will pay (in fact, I'm spending directly and indirectly lots of money
in this project), so it's not a problem if only myself and one or two
of my friends use them. I would be much more happier this way than
thousands of persons using a nice gig sound bank under linuxsampler.
You may or may not agree with me, but it's just my opinion. To
understand my reasons please see:

http://opensrc.org/pipermail/freepats/2007/000124.html

> (I don't think many professional studios like the soundformat of the amateur
> soundblaster for professional productions.)

And neither I do. I agree with you, gig is more professional. But I'm
sorry, I won't change my mind in this regard, my priorities are
different than yours. You are free to convert this and the other
soundfonts I'm working on to the gig format and improve them if you
want to do so. I don't want to do that myself, sorry.