Re: [LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 20:02:34 EEST

Note that I am not for gig and against sf2 (or vice versa), I just see flaws
in your logic...

Am Mittwoch, 17. September 2008 schrieben Sie:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 02:44:39PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > If you want to be ideologically clear, you _have to_ use a free format.
> > Both gig and sf2 where invented as proprietary formats. I think the only
> > real free alternative is something like specimen...
> Using the sf2 format is not a problem for me, it is documented and has
> at least one free implementation. I don't claim that my point of view is
> the best and the only one truth, of course you can use gig of other
> format if you prefer, but I simply can't (neither want) to change my
> mind, and I absolutely will never support the format until at least one
> (completely) free implementation exists.
<snip>

You want to use sf2 for reasons of freedom? sf2 is not free as in
defined-by-the-fsf. Probably the same as gig (and gig _has_ a free
implementation, just use an old linuxsampler with plain gpl)...

If you want a _really_ free format you _have_ to use specimen or something
else which not only has free implementations (heck, even ms word has free
implementations) but also an open format.

Again, I am not saying that you should ditch sf2 and use gig for whatever
reasons. I am just saying that your reasons of not doing so are no reasons in
my view.

And if your ideologic reasons are invalid, you might as well use the format
that works best and has the features you need. :-)
If it sounds right, its right.
Has served me better in music making than "if it has the right[tm] license"...

Have fun,

Arnold

PS: No need to CC me, I am subscribed ;-)

--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/
---