Re: [LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 17:09:22 EEST

On Thursday 18 September 2008 09:20 am, Roberto Gordo Saez wrote:
> > Well..... but does the author remain THE author once there are other
> > contributions in that file?

My understanding (IANAL) is:

In at least some senses, no, or more accurately, he is no longer the
sole author *unless* those contributors have given (signed over) to him
all their rights as co-authors. (There are a lot of things I don't
understand, but one in particular is (are?) the moral rights of the
author that are considered in some other countries. My vague
understanding is that, whatever rights he may give away, he is still
entitled to have his name associated with the software as a co-author.)

Assuming that has not occurred, he is not the sole author, and things
that might be at his discretion if he were the sole author are no
longer at his sole discretion, but require agreement of all the
authors.

Among these:
   * he does not have the freedom to change the license unilaterally
   * he does not have the freedom to dual license the software
unilaterally

Randy Kramer

--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.