Re: [LAU] licensing fun, was Re: Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 17:15:14 EEST

On Thursday 18 September 2008 09:38 am, drew Roberts wrote:
> Whatever the case may be, these are not GPL licensed programs and thus
code
> from them may not be mingled legally with other GPL programs. Right?

I may have missed something in the context of your statement, but
various levels of mingling are allowed, depending on the other
licenses. The simple one is that GPL software can be agregated with
non-free software, for example, for things like a distro (i.e., a
compilation of software).

In addition, if the licenses are compatible, GPL software can call
routines written with other (compatible licenses), and, iiuc, vice
versa. It really gets complicated and detailed--if you have specific
questions, I'd probably suggest that you do some reading, or ask
questions on a list devoted to the topic.

IANAL.

Randy Kramer

--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.