Re: [LAU] Linux Based Guitar fx / midi controller

From: Salvatore Di Pietro <salvuz_78@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 19:11:08 EEST

Nathanael Anderson wrote:
> I've seen talk on the list before of people throwing around the idea of
> a linux based guitar, but haven't heard mention of a linux based
> stompbox controller.
>
> I just ordered what I think will make the perfect stompbox case from
> http://www.surplussales.com/Cab-RacksHardware/encl_2.html, they have a
> 12" x 24" keyboard enclosure with a slant on it, which is very similar
> to the shape of a standard fully featured fx petal. my plans are to put
> a x86 based board in it that'll easily handle jack, rakarrak,
> sooperlooper, and some ladspa effects. build midi in/through/out ports
> in to it and a 16 char lcd, some stompbox functions that'll be mapped to
> midi commands. i'll probably build a 15" lcd into a portable case I have
> so I can track loop status of sooperloop easily, maybe even go with a
> touchscreen. I also use a roland gr-20 guitar synth, which is midi
> equiped. Just throwing this out for feedback for now, I hope to hear of
> some other people that have done similar things.

I built something like this a year ago! The "salvuzbox". Using a small
PentiumIII board+ a 512 MB flash disk in a metal case, running Slackware
11 (it's toooooo handy for tailoring the system to your needs), jack,
sooperlooper and OmSynth for the DSP part. They use OSC for
communication and I needed something fast working, so I modified
slconsole to send OSC messages to both, using the keyboard, which I
mangled until I obtained a stompbox with metal buttons. For now I use
the (ex) keyboard LEDS to display the state of the looping, but I have
the intention to include a drum machine as well, and an LCD display
(when I'll spare some money...). When I'll get the time I'll put up a
website with photos and samples, and I hope to use it for my degree
thesis, surely after having improved it with real MIDI control and other
features. But by now, it is damn fun to use at least :)

--
           salvuz
      POST FATA RESVRGO