Re: [LAU] licensing fun, was Re: Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Randy Kramer <rhkramer@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 19:26:01 EEST

On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:27 am, drew Roberts wrote:
> So, are there any Free programs built around QT that are not GPL?

I can't answer that definatively. I know KDE is (being?) ported to
Windows, but I guess they manage to do that as free software (i.e.,
under the GPL license of Qt). It seems to me I've heard of some
commercial programs using (or planning to use) Qt, but I can't recite
any names.

> To do this
> legally, one would have to purchase a commercial license right? And
then all
> contributors would also need commercial licenses right? The mind
boggles.

Yup, and, iirc, the original terms of Qt's dual license required that
you make a decision up front--if you were going to develop a commercial
application under the commercial (not GPL) license, you had to decide
when you started developing your application, and from that point, pay
for Qt. (If that was not for Qt, it was for some other dual licensed
library.)

Randy Kramer

--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.