Re: [LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 18 2008 - 20:18:06 EEST

2008/9/18 Anders Dahnielson <anders@email-addr-hidden>:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 15:12, Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>> > That's not true. SFZ is an open and free specification. I know, I'm
>> > working
>> > on an implementation of the SFZ 2.0 spec.
>> >
>> If it is free, where do I get that specification 2.0 ?
>> The last time I've had a look at it, the publication was out of date
>> and incomplete.
>
> The SFZ 2.0 is currently only available in the book 'Cakewalk Synthesizers'
> by Simon Cann. Note that I'm not talking free as in beer here.
>
> I've tried to publish some errata for the 1.0 spec regarding stuff that I've
> come across:
>
> https://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186

Thank you for the Information, Anders Dahnielson.
So the the specification is available, that's good.

Searching the web, I find this site:
http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/sfz.asp

At the bottom I find:
"Copyright (c) 2008 by Cakewalk, Inc. All rights reserved."

There is no further license information, but a note at the top:
"Soundware, software and hardware developers can create, use and
distribute the sfz format files for free, for either free or
commercial applications."

We are allowed to use *files* created in the format for "free" or
"commercial" applications
(with no further info, what "free" / "commercial" means in this context)

That is a kind of vague freedom.
But the specification itself is still unfree (as in speach),
scince I'm not allowed to spread it reproduce it, give it to friends.

Regards,
Emanuel