Re: [LAU] [OT] DIY Trigger - Piezo to MIDI to PC

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 17 2008 - 18:29:10 EEST

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:49:22 +0800
"Ray Rashif" <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Sorry for the very random subject, but I figured I'd need all the help I can
> get.
>
> I've read about this for a _little_ while (time constraints..arghhh) on the
> WWW, and I've posted on www.edrum.info too. In case anyone here has
> better/fast/helpful suggestions/advice/shizznit, I'm sort of cross-posting:
>
> I just want one trigger, which I'll use for the kick drum. As such, I'm
> interested to know if there are premade boards for the MIDI conversion.
> Basically all I need is something which can take the vibrations and convert
> them to electrical signals (piezo), and then fed to something else that will
> convert that electrical signal to a MIDI-ON message, after which I can plug
> it into the MIDI input of an audio interface or use a MIDI-USB adapter to
> plug in to a USB port.
>
> And regarding MIDI, if I want to take into consideration dynamics, and let
> the piezo trigger MIDI messages with varying attack information, how would
> it be done? So depending on the voltage generated, it'd be a MIDI-ON but the
> final message to the computer (audio interface) would be a "MIDI-ON &&
> ATTACK == 75" sort of logic. Sorry for the noobish description, have just
> started to dabble into (audio/midi) electronics.
>
> I understand the concept and design roughly and I can move on by reading the
> construction manual (refering to edrum's DIY guide), but at the moment I'm
> looking for a quick way to build a trigger as I need it asap (and no $$ for
> a real trigger kit/module).

Look at:
http://arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1165833586

There is a specific example that more or less covers what you are
after. The forum is *very* helpful and are sure to be able to give you
whatever info you need to interface your trigger to the board.

The boards are very cheap (ready built) and easy to use. All the
software is Open Source

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk