Re: [LAU] [LAD] First release of jkmeter

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 00:58:18 EEST

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 08:06:56AM -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:

> I've been using the excellent Jkmeter for a few weeks. Recently I gt
> hold of a SPL meter so using Jnoise I was able to calibrate the
> speakers volume to the suggested 83db(C). Similar to what Steven
> mentioned in his email, to me that sound level felt very uncomfortable
> (way too high) so following my perception (and without using Jkmeter)
> I started mixing everything way too low (I confirmed this after
> playing one of my pieces at a electroacoustic music concert setup). So
> I'm also wondering, did I misunderstood something or I'm just too
> sensitive? Is my SPL meter not working (it's a new and made by a
> Galaxy Audio)?

You're at least to third user to report that 83 dB(C) is
quite loud... Don't blame me - I didn't invent this figure !

I guess that if Bob Katz specifies this level, this may
reflect the quite high monitoring levels that are common
in commercial 'pop' studios. If you feel it is too high
there is IMHO no reason why you shouldn't adopt a lower
level as standard. The importing thing IMHO is to use a
*fixed* level. Play some music that you are familiar with,
adjusting the output level to indicate just above 0 dB on
the K-meter on the loudest parts. Adjust the volume control
to a level that feels right for you. Then, without touching
the volume control, output pink noise indicating 0 dB on the
K-meter, and measure the SPL. Write down this value so you
can revert to it later, even if the volume control has been
moved.

I'd be interested to know what sort of SPL levels you
adopt, along with the type of music you are listening
to.

> Does the existent room noise (computer fans, street
> noise leaking through the window, measuring around 50dBC)
> significantly affects the measurement?

That's 30 dB down, it won't have any impact on the
measured level at 83 dB(C).

Note that if you are monitoring at say 75 dB for high
level signals, and the background level is 50 dB, the
way you handle the softer parts of any any recording
may be biased by the presence of this background noise,
i.e. you could - unconsciously - be reducing the dynamic
range of your recording. Assuming of course the type
of music you record has any dynamic range at all...

Ciao,

--
FA
Parma, Italia