Re: [LAU] Intel-HDA sound issues

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 12:16:17 EEST

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2008 10:30, J M Needham wrote:

>>> Hmm, my Rosegarden 1.7.0 installed from package in Debian Lenny/Sid
>>> repositories, running with non-RT kernel on a Toshiba laptop also using
>>> Intel HDA sound, doesn't crash.
>> Although I suffer from crackling when producing sound;I have no problem
>> with running Rosegarden 1.7.2 (or indeed any other version) compiled from
>> source.
>
> If your soundcard is hda intel, there is a known problem, where crackling
> occurs if the "Periods/Buffer is set to the default "2". The cure is to open
> Qjackctl's setup, settings, and change it to "3".

Hmmm, my JACK uses the default 2 for Periods/Buffer using Intel HDA and
I don't recall getting any crackles ... but then I haven't figured out
how to make JACK work with QSynth ... it seems I can have QSynth
running, but then JACK won't start (says something else is already using
the hardware), or I can have JACK running but then QSynth won't start
because something else is using the hardware ... well, lets see. If I
start JACK first, then tell QSynth to use JACK as its output, then it
started and played once from Rosegarden. Next time I tried it, QSynth
says "Could not connect to any physical jack ports: fluidsynth is
unconnected."

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden