Re: [LAU] [OT] first computer ?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 31 2008 - 18:13:15 EET

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> For no reason beyond boredom I decided to pester this list with an OT
> topic or two. So, without further delay:
>
> What was your first computer ?

The first I owned was the very original IBM PC. 10MB hard drive, 1MB
DRAM. $3000 IIRC. Got a Hercules video card pretty quickly. I used
some Unisys/Univac machines when I was in college but I don't consider
them mine.

Starting with Turbo Pascal I wrote a librarian for my DX7. Sold the
code to some company I cannot remember - nice people though - for
about $500 + royalties. They renamed the program to DXConnect as an
inside joke on my name. Over time I think I made maybe $1000 tops
total for the project, but more importantly discovered that I'm not a
programmer,. ;-) But hey, it was a good start.

> And for extra points:
>
> What was the first music/sound software you used that really hooked you
> into this making-music-with-computers fad ?

In terms of home studio software (I assume that's what you're asking)
that's extremely easy. Sequencer Plus, and later Sequencer Plus Gold.

I found Tran Tracks somewhere in that time frame and used to buy MIDI
tracks from him to play my guitar with when I wasn't playing live.
Amazing that he's still in business selling inexpensive MIDI tracks 32
years later. Somehow it's not all that different today, just that I
have more power on my desktop than the old Tascam/Ampex jingle studio
I worked at in the early 70's had in the whole building .

Cheers,
Mark