Re: [LAU] [OT] first computer ?

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 01 2008 - 22:10:57 EET

> funny idea for an off-topic thread. i'm looking forward to other postings...

It is quite a funny thread and makes interesting reading.

First computer was the parents ZX81, programming games for my then 5 year old brother in Basic. A whole 1K of memory. Later had a Spectrum - these were the only reasonably priced systems available then. Did not program any musical stuff at the time.

First music system was using a VAX 11/70 running Unix 2.2 using C to generate downloadable wavetables to a hardware synth as an undergraduate project. The synth was 8bit 64kHz however each voice only ran at 8kHz due to the intersampling AD converters running 8 voices.

My first own system was an Amiga 500 eventually with 500K of RAM and a 20M disk using 68000 assembler code to write my own MIDI software over a homegrown MIDI adaptor from an Akai master keyboard to different sound modules.

Then along came Linux with the 0.99 kernels so bought a P3-133 system.

Have only ever really used my own audio programes so the closest I get to the last question would be a C compiler.

Regards, nick.