Re: [LAU] Level Matching

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 16:45:50 EET

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 02:29, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> So what the original poster wants is to add a compressor to the output
> path for amarok or whatever audio track player is being used...
> Jack-rack would probably do but surely someone has written a nice
> compressor interface for sc4 by now?

I have a script that makes highly compressed, reduced frequency and bitrate
mp3s of my entire collection, and for that, plain old sox works fine.
Normally, I would use a plugin for this sort of thing, but since I most
often listen to mp3s in the car and no portable mp3 player I've ever owned
(from a $30 MP3 CD player to my current 160GB Archos jukebox) has had the
kind of compression I'm looking for, maintaining the second set of mp3s
works better for me.

Here are the relevant lines:

(where $mp3 is the mp3 file, and $resamp contains a sox resample clause
when the mp3 isn't 22.05KHz to begin with)

my $maxfac = `sox "$mp3" -e stat 2>&1 | grep Volume.adjustment`;
if ($maxfac =~ /Volume adjustment:\s+(\S+)/) {
               $maxfac = $1;
} else {
        $maxfac = 1.0;
}
system("sox -v $maxfac \"$mp3\" -r 22050 /tmp/mp3carencode-$$.wav $resamp
compand 0.1,0.1 -120,-20,-60,-15,-40,-15,-20,-9,0,-8 0 -6 0.1");

I'd paste the whole script, but since it's oriented around traversal of my
own mp3 tree and creating a second, compressed tree, it wouldn't be of
general use.

The above compression values are pretty severe, so someone who just wants
their collection to all be the same volume will probably want to tweak
them (the comma-separated values are input and output volumes in dB.) My
partner used the same compression settings without a frequency conversion
for his own listening on headphones and speakers, but his ears started
going long before he did.

Rob