Re: [LAU] Recording Equipment

From: Sean Darby <sean@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 00:25:32 EET

Hello LAU,

I'm getting back to the basic concepts so I can try to understand better
how to appropriately accomplish what I'm looking for in recording.

What would be the maximum number of separate simultaneous tracks I use
on a Yamaha MG166C?

Would the MG166C allow for 4 separate simultaneous stereo tracks?

What PCI card would allow for 4 separate simultaneous stereo XLR/mic
tracks plus 1 or 2 MIDI instruments?

I have a hunch the 1010LT and MG166C are not ideal for each other,
though I am unsure which combination PCI+mixer would be. I think the
MG166C might only be to handle 2 separate simultaneous stereo XLR/mic
tracks. I might be wrong? I'm pretty sure the 1010LT only handles MIDI
for 1 in and 1 out.

I'd like to be able to put either 8 mono or 4 stereo tracks (8 XLR/mics)
into a mixer, and hook all of the separate tracks (8 mono or 4 stereo)
into the computer. Though I'd also like to be able to record 1 or 2 MIDI
instruments simultaneously (on 1 or 2 additional tracks) with the
XLR/mics' tracks.

For the 4 stereo (or 8 mono) XLR/mic tracks:
I'm guessing that I'll need at least a 12x4x2 mixer unless there is an
8x4x2 that has 8 independent XLR inputs (and outs?), though also a mixer
with 4 "true" subgroups. Unless I can get away with only 2 subgroup
faders if the 4 group outputs can still manage 4 separate simultaneous
tracks.

For the 1 or 2 MIDI tracks:
I'm guessing I'll need a PCI card with either 2 I/Os (for 1 MIDI
instrument) or 4 I/Os (for 2 simultaneous MIDI instruments). Unless I
can use just 2 MIDI I/Os (1 in, 1 out) and if I want to use 2 MIDI
instruments simultaneously perhaps get a "4x4" MIDI box.

I'm hoping to stick with Yamaha or Mackie for a mixer, hopefully no more
than $350 or $400. I'm hoping to be able to get a PCI card that is
hopefully no more than $200 or $250.

Thank you,

Sean