Re: [LAU] [OT] first computer ?

From: Tobiah <toby@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 07 2008 - 22:01:43 EET

Joseph Dell'Orfano wrote:
> My first computer was a Sinclair ZX80, which I still own. Next was a
> Timex-Sinclair 2068. Remember these???

I was in love with my 2068. So much so, that I could
actually touch-type basic programs on it! There were
three or for shift modes for each key, each combination
representing a BASIC keyword.

I wrote an assembler in basic for this thing. I actually
used the BASIC editor to write the assembly, and then
used PEEK to get at the text of the buffer and generate
the machine code.

I was pretty starved for resources and information.
Later, I had a Yamaha CX5M computer. I found a Commodore
64 with a printer at the thrift store. I used the cassette
motor relay in the back of the CX5M to switch on and off the
joystick button pin on the Commodore to tap out a print job
in a sort of home made Morse code. Hey, it worked.

Tobiah