Re: [LAU] Any decent Reaktor/Synthedit-type apps?

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 00:32:31 EET

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> 2008/11/11 Damon Chaplin <damon@email-addr-hidden>:
>> Yes, I was looking at Ingen earlier today. I may be wrong, but I don't
>> think you can create synth-like GUIs with it (with knobs/sliders etc.).
>
> One idea is - to controll the synths with
> a separated gui through OSC commands.
> (separated engine & gui)
>
> A simple gui creator is khagan:
> http://khagan.berlios.de/
>
> By using OSC you can use the GUI-toolkit you prefere for the user interface.

One word of warning, Khagan hasn't been worked on in years and really
isn't any good. :) It was my first python app and the code is
horrible. Ingen's internal gui's are really everything you want as
far as control goes. It's much more useful to set up a good midi
binding than make a gui with lots of knobs. Much more usable. Ingen
really is very nice, i've made some very complex patches with it and
using the sub patches / etc you can present only the useful controls
to the user. It really is the way to go. I tried the other option, for
my drum synth project, Smack and found the gui irrelevant. I
originally wrote one in c and then did it using Khagan. Both are less
usable than the in built gui system in Ingen. Learn from my mistakes!
:)

Loki