Re: [LAU] Any decent Reaktor/Synthedit-type apps?

From: Damon Chaplin <damon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 10:24:31 EET

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 09:32 +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 7:12 AM, Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > A simple gui creator is khagan:
> > http://khagan.berlios.de/

> One word of warning, Khagan hasn't been worked on in years and really
> isn't any good. :) It was my first python app and the code is
> horrible. Ingen's internal gui's are really everything you want as
> far as control goes. It's much more useful to set up a good midi
> binding than make a gui with lots of knobs. Much more usable. Ingen
> really is very nice, i've made some very complex patches with it and
> using the sub patches / etc you can present only the useful controls
> to the user. It really is the way to go. I tried the other option, for
> my drum synth project, Smack and found the gui irrelevant. I
> originally wrote one in c and then did it using Khagan. Both are less
> usable than the in built gui system in Ingen. Learn from my mistakes!
> :)

I think we're going to have to disagree about what makes a good GUI.
About 99.9% of VSTs use knobs and sliders, and people seem pretty happy
with them (as I am).

I can't compile Ingen at the moment but if the GUIs are like the
screenshot on the home page (http://drobilla.net/software/ingen/) then I
don't think it is really suitable for ordinary users.

Anyway, I'm going to have a go at the GUI part of an app, as I want to
test out my canvas widget a bit. If it goes well I might add the audio
processing backend.

Damon