Re: [LAU] Qtractor vs Rosegarden

From: Matthew Smith <matt@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 10:53:54 EET

Quoth James Cameron at 2008-11-12 18:58...
> Ugh. I'd use a prebuilt, rather than waste three months.
That wasn't three solid months of trying, that's just how long I've been
on the project. Gentoo ebuilds - especially for x86_64 systems - don't
always have the quality of binary builds on binary distributions. Hence
my problems.

> I'm an occasional user of Rosegarden. I've just tried Qtractor because
> you mentioned it. I'm impressed. It starts far faster and feels more
> responsive, but that's subjective, I didn't do a precise timing. It is
> certainly cleaner and simpler.
Which suits me fine. I just want to play/record, not fumble around with
software.

> Quick summary of the difference ... Rosegarden has notation editing,
> score production, a matrix editor, a percussion matrix editor, a MIDI
> event editor, segments that can be triggered by others. Qtractor lacks
> these, or I could not find them. Do you need them? It depends on how
> important they are to your workflow.
None of these are really too important, although the matrix editing
would be handy. But I can overcome that by using Hydrogen - I have no
issues with using more than one bit of software at a time. After all, I
used to do this with LOTS of hardware.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/