Re: [LAU] no connection...

From: Crypto <crypto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 10:56:19 EET

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 01:45:34 Preston C. wrote:
> It has been a while since I have tried to use qjackctl, but I still
> run into the same problem.
>
> I open and then start qjackctl, then I open qsampler and load a .gig
> file. In connection in qjackctl I connect "32:Audigy MPU-401 #2" in
> readable clients to "LinuxSampler" in writable clients. Then I press
> some keys on my midi keyboard and QSampler does not pick it up. If I
> connect "Vkeybd" to "LinuxSampler" and press the keys Vkeybd using my
> mouse, QSampler works??? Many Thanks.

Hi Preston,

Use a tool that allows for byte-wise display of incoming MIDI data, such as
kmidimon.

Connect that tool to Your Audigy MPU port and hit some keys on Your keyboard.
Now You can see if there is MIDI data showing up at all.

My suspicion: The MIDI keyboard sends NOTE ON/OFF data in running state mode,
which means, if there is nothing happening apart from sending NOTE ON/OFF
commands it leaves out the first byte (the status byte that actually contains
the NOTE ON command) to save data. The MIDI data stream now consists of
groups of two MIDI bytes only that in turns contain the note value and the
volume value. NOTE OFF messages are note value + volume 0.

You would have to "interrupt" the NOTE ON message data stream by triggering a
different MIDI command, such as PORTAMENTO, foot switch etc. or reset the
MIDI keyboard alltogether so that it will send one initiating MIDI ON status
byte. This could then be received by the audigy and transmitted to Qsampler
and the MIDI data stream would be "complete" again.

I have got this issue all the time when using my MIDIfied electric organ.

Regards,
Crypto.