Re: [LAU] Any decent Reaktor/Synthedit-type apps?

From: Damon Chaplin <damon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 11:35:47 EET

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 09:50 +0100, Bengt Gördén wrote:
> Den Wednesday 12 November 2008 09.24.31 skrev Damon Chaplin:
> > I think we're going to have to disagree about what makes a good GUI.
> > About 99.9% of VSTs use knobs and sliders, and people seem pretty happy
> > with them (as I am).
> >
> > I can't compile Ingen at the moment but if the GUIs are like the
> > screenshot on the home page (http://drobilla.net/software/ingen/) then I
> > don't think it is really suitable for ordinary users.
>
> I might not be the average user but I have never used a real modular synth in
> my life. But having a look at the gui for Ingen I think I might be able to
> work with it. I really think it looks intuitive. I'll install it when I get
> home and see if I can get it to produce some noise.

Yes, it is a fine GUI for technical users who want to create synths.
Reaktor & Synthedit both have interfaces like that (as would my app).

But Reaktor & Synthedit also let developers build panels with knobs &
sliders for non-technical users.

It works well in the Windows world. There are lots of Synthedit
synths/effects available, and they are used a lot with few problems. (Of
course the audio quality varies, but that is a separate issue.) Only a
small percentage of people want to delve into using Synthedit themselves
though.

Damon