Re: [LAU] random system lockups, memtest clean, no idea... Magic sysrq?

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 19 2008 - 07:46:44 EET

hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 21:13:04 -0800
> Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 19 November 2008 at 16:11, "Loki Davison" <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> mmm... so a mobo problem... that would be annoying. Does that
>>> actually happen?
>> I had to have an ABIT board serviced. I never did put it back into
>> my machine. But yes, it quit powering up.
>>
>> --
>> Kevin
>
> It could be possible I guess...
>
> My personal situation:
> The mobo is a couple of years old, I have lockups whenever it comes to
> apps that need a lot of video-power, like games and even some movies.
> I tried a couple of video cards (all nvidia tough) without seeing
> any real changes.
> The problem occurred in windows as well (I had it installed to play
> some games) and it didn't matter if I used the nv or binary drivers,
> after a couple of minutes the machine just locks up.
> The only explanation I have is that it's some kind of mobo-problem, but
> now that I just use nv and don't play games anymore it happens rarely
> when watching movies or something.
>
> I heard that logs don't help much in cases like this and that consoles
> connected via serial cables would be more helpful, but I haven't tried
> that.

A bit of speculation here. Perhaps the slot the video card is in is just
slightly low on providing power to the video card. Ordinary use of the
card works. Heavy duty use (like gaming) makes the card draw more power
than the slot can actually provide, producing a crash?

I guess, to check this, try a different slot for the video card (if you
can).

--
David
gnome@email-addr-hidden