Re: [LAU] new laptop redux

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 16:38:49 EET

Hey Dave,
   Sounds like you're making pretty good progress. Congrats You'll
have to report back some benchmark values when you get it set up to
your liking.

   I cannot speak to Ubuntu. I've never run it. However I've run
Gentoo 64-bit for a few years now. All I can say is that while 64-bit
Linux works, and works well, there are a lot of real world limitations
in terms of accessing media from the web. While no where near as bad
as they used to be you will likely run into issues with Java and Flash
under 64-bit, and the decoders for things like Windows media file
types are almost always a bit more difficult than on our 32-bit
machines. Again, no where near as bad as they used to be, but not as
good as the 32-bit versions.

   Even though I'm purchasing 64-bit processors these days I'm not
installing 64-bit anymore. I have one machine to test but 32-bit the
rest of the way around. There's nothing about your system specs that
demands 64-bit (IMO) so consider whether you really want it.

Cheers,
Mark