Re: [LAU] new laptop redux

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 18:55:43 EET

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Sounds like you're making pretty good progress. Congrats You'll
> have to report back some benchmark values when you get it set up to
> your liking.

I sorted out the permissions problems, AVSynthesis now takes full
advantage of the nVidia driver. I also built and installed an up-to-date
Csound 5.09 with some extra bells & whistles. Setting up the build
environment was easy, Ubuntu uses the apt package management system,
including the Synaptic GUI.

> Even though I'm purchasing 64-bit processors these days I'm not
> installing 64-bit anymore. I have one machine to test but 32-bit the
> rest of the way around. There's nothing about your system specs that
> demands 64-bit (IMO) so consider whether you really want it.

The main box here is a 64 Studio system, pure 64-bits. Its main musical
function is Ardour, which runs very nicely on it. I also use it for
teaching purposes, running Audacity and a few other apps. Most of my
composition work is done on the 32-bit machine.

> BTW - I'm not suggesting only installing a single distro. you have
> enough disk space to install a few and try out support for the machine
> in each, just to see how it goes. Ain't grub grand? ;-)

I'm still interested in testing Arch, but for a while I'm going to tune
Ubuntu. The xruns are bad, and according to at least one report they
shouldn't be this bad. So, back to the grindstone...

Best,

dp