Re: [LAU] transform midi Control Change 7 into velocity events?

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 22:46:38 EET

On Thursday 20 November 2008 15:14:00 Philippe Hezaine wrote:
> My problem is Lilypond creates for each dynamic event a midi CC7 event
> instead of a velocity event.
>
> Is it possible to transform these CC into Velocity events?

I suppose by "velocity events" you mean the velocity values of subsequent
note-on events?

> I thought about mididings. I'm able to run and appreciate it at home but
> i'm not knowledgable in python if i want to write my own script and
> redirect the new midi file.

I'm not sure mididings is the right tool for the job. The Python code to
transform the events would be quite simple, but mididings doesn't support
reading/writing MIDI files (yet?). You could of course use a separate MIDI
player/recorder, and route the events through mididings, but you'd lose all
meta information (tempo, time signature, etc.) from the original file.

Having said that, I don't really know a better solution.
midish (http://caoua.org/midish/) can import/export MIDI files, but I'm not
sure how/if it can do the transformation you want.

> PS. I join an example with my post. If you open it in a sequencer and
> look at the bassdrum you'll figure out what i say.

As far as I can see, all tracks in your MIDI file are on the same channel,
so CC #7 messages on one track will affect the other tracks as well. You
should probably assign a different channel to each track.

Cheers,

Dominic