[LAU] more machine issues

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 25 2008 - 13:59:44 EET

Greetings,

As I get further into the configuration of my new machine I've hit some
minor snags. Perhaps someone here knows how to resolve these issues:

1) The machine does not cleanly shut down with the rt kernel. The system
appears to go down, but the power light remains on and does not turn off
manually (this happens with the battery in or out). Any fix for that ? I
don't like having to switch off the power at the strip, I doubt that
it's good for the box.

2) Is there a way to permanently disable the touchpad ? It's annoying to
have to turn it off manually (i.e. from the GNOME Control Center) every
session.

3) Related to 2: How can I keep the Control Center's touchpad dialog
from changing my Fluxbox background every time ?

4) Not really a problem, but: What's a recommended wifi card for a Linux
notebook ? And will the Atheros driver in 8.10 work or is it broken ?

Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) is working nicely here. I'm waiting for a
fix to Ardour SVN sources so I can compile Ardour 3 (my GTK is too new
!), but otherwise it's fitting all my needs, thanks again to the great
assistance I've received here.

Best,

dp