Re: [LAU] no connection...

From: Crypto <crypto@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 15:01:19 EET

Am Friday 21 November 2008 23:30:00 schrieb Preston C.:
> > Thank you Crypto. I will try what you said about using kmidimon and
> > then get back with you. Thanks again. I hope I didn't send this to
> > your private email. It seems that when I hit reply in Gmail it sends
> > it to people's private address?
>
> I tried Kmidimon and got no signal. I attached a screenshot of my
> desktop and setup.

Preston,

I have to admit I am having some trouble here myself which I could not yet
solve reliably, that is why I respond so late...

It might have to do with the sound device that is selected in kmix (I wrote
about that issue some other day a while ago).

There are several variables/applications involved that want examination so I
guess it will take me some time until I can give further details on that.

The problem that I have is that like You I cannot receive MIDI data from an
external USB device, but in this case kmon showed me that sometimes there is
a short number of MIDI messages I get and then it all stops and I do not see
any more messages, and sometimes I get no MIDI messages at all.

As I said a while ago I wrote about this problem and noticed that it could
have to do with the sound device to which kmix is set to. When You run kmix
(open it from the task bar) and You have several sound devices for sound
output then kmix offers a popup menu from which to choose which one You want
to adjust. I have noticed that I get these hangups when the internal onboard
sound of my notebook is selected here, and it is all just fine when the USB
sound device is selected, but now I am not so sure here anymore.

I also had some problems to get qjackctl running properly when there are
several sound devices available. It seemed the problem could be fixed when
setting qjackctl to output do "default" device and input from "default"
device and apart from that set the sound device with the single menu at the
top menu called "interface". But still I have problems with that and get no
MIDI data, so I have to have a closer look at what is happening here.

BTW, do You have no MIDI data even when not running a RT kernel? It could also
be a kernel related problem, as I had no problems with an older RT kernel.

Possible solutions for me:
Run jackd via command line (only), so I can see exactly what jackd gets when
run.

Regards,
Crypto.