Re: [LAU] Synchronizing 2 computer with MIDI

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 15:04:06 EET

Am Donnerstag 27 November 2008 schrieb Mysth-R:
> Hi,
>
> I am Quite surprised that nobody ever tried to sync 2 computers by midi.
> I performed some tests with one computer with rosegarden and a Hardware
> sequencer remixerr (yamaha RM1-X).
>
> In the RM1-X, I can choose sync mode between Intern (like a master), midi
> and MTC. When I choose Midi, the tempo setting is not available anymore, and
> the synchro with rosegarden is perfect (transport + tempo). increasing the
> tempo in Rosegarden also increase the tempo in the RM1-X.
>
> When I choose MTC on RM1-X, the transport start with rosegarden, but I
> always can modify the tempo. And even if I choose the same tempo, there is
> some time shift few minutes later.
>
> In the other hand, When I make the RM1-X as a master, the transport is
> synchro but Rosegarden keep is own tempo. So it is unusable.
>

> I don't know very well the MTC protocol, but isn't there a way to sync the
> Tempo with it ?

it's been a while since i was using it, because my 8 track recorder's capstan
has died some years ago. This is what i remember, maybe others know better:

MTC is just a translation of SMPTE timecode (LTC) into MIDI protocol, which
means it has time information but not tempo information. If you want tempo
information you have to use MIDI clock and Start/Stop/Continue messages.
Which again has the disadvantage that a slaving sequencer can't jump to a
certain position in a song, you have to rewind and start from beginning.
To handle this, Song Position Pointer (SPP) is used along with MIDI clock.

> Greets,
>
> Mysth-R

Edgar