Re: [LAU] Synchronizing 2 computer with MIDI

From: Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 15:53:21 EET

Am Donnerstag 27 November 2008 schrieb Mysth-R:
> 2008/11/27 Edgar Aichinger <edogawa@email-addr-hidden>
>
> > Am Donnerstag 27 November 2008 schrieb Mysth-R:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am Quite surprised that nobody ever tried to sync 2 computers by midi.
> > > I performed some tests with one computer with rosegarden and a Hardware
> > > sequencer remixerr (yamaha RM1-X).
> > >
> > > In the RM1-X, I can choose sync mode between Intern (like a master), midi
> > > and MTC. When I choose Midi, the tempo setting is not available anymore,
> > and
> > > the synchro with rosegarden is perfect (transport + tempo). increasing
> > the
> > > tempo in Rosegarden also increase the tempo in the RM1-X.
> > >
> > > When I choose MTC on RM1-X, the transport start with rosegarden, but I
> > > always can modify the tempo. And even if I choose the same tempo, there
> > is
> > > some time shift few minutes later.
> > >
> > > In the other hand, When I make the RM1-X as a master, the transport is
> > > synchro but Rosegarden keep is own tempo. So it is unusable.
> > >

> > > I don't know very well the MTC protocol, but isn't there a way to sync
> > the
> > > Tempo with it ?
> >
> > it's been a while since i was using it, because my 8 track recorder's
> > capstan
> > has died some years ago. This is what i remember, maybe others know better:
> >
> > MTC is just a translation of SMPTE timecode (LTC) into MIDI protocol, which
> > means it has time information but not tempo information. If you want tempo
> > information you have to use MIDI clock and Start/Stop/Continue messages.
> > Which again has the disadvantage that a slaving sequencer can't jump to a
> > certain position in a song, you have to rewind and start from beginning.
> > To handle this, Song Position Pointer (SPP) is used along with MIDI clock.
> >
> Ok thank you for sharing your experience. In fact I don't use Song mode, as
> I want to play lives with patterns. So yes I jsut want to sync the tempo.
> But I can't find any soft on linux that can do this job as slave or master.
> I just tried freewheeling, but it can't act as a slave. So this is a problem
> for me.
> Other experiences or tips ?
> Thank you
> Mysth-R

I just tried quickly to synchronize seq24(master) and rosegarden(slave) via
MIDI clock, and it worked. In rosegarden preferences, MIDI/MIDI sync tab,
set MIDI clock to "receive Start/Stop/Continue". In seq24 options, MIDI clock
tab, set the "record in" port of rosegarden (was 130:0 now in my case) to
On(Pos).

Hope this is what you need, good luck...

> > > Greets,
> > >
> > > Mysth-R
> >
> > Edgar

Edgar