Re: [LAU] disadvantages of a realtime kernel

From: Cassiel <raffaele.morelli@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 27 2008 - 16:45:50 EET

Hi you all,

I can't understand that:

"[...] So, why hassle around and make a realtime kernel available in the
repositories if Debian can work on making other security and stability
related issues better?"

what's the relationship between (realtime) and (security or stability)?
If you plan to use a realtime kernel surely you do not want to boot it on a
production server (my belief).
To me applying an RT patch implies you want to stress your box to achieve
extremely low latency paying a certain price in terms of "stability" for
other non-audio appz.

Platforms: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/
these are the offical Ingo Molnar RT patches, never saw platform related
ones and never read about they will ever be

Hardware: RT patches add features to the kernel and without touching the
rest of the code, so an RT kernel supports the same hardware of a generic
one.

Disadvantages: compile an unbootable or nonworking kernel is a little bit
simpler :-)

cheers