Re: [LAU] Pre-configured Linux Audio laptop for US$499 gets some ink

From: Giso Grimm <gg3137@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 18:50:12 EET

Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Apparently there's this new thing called an IndiaMixx which is pretty much my Asus EEE pre-configured with a Linux Audio distro, Ardour, and EnergyXT (whatever that is).
>>
>> http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/11/26/indamixx-laptop-is-first-pre-configured-music-netbook-running-linux-499/
>
> Very under powered ->> 1.6Ghz Intel Atom CPU
> If it's like the other netbooks, the keyboard is a bit smaller too
> with a 9" or 10" screen.
>
> Definitely cute and useful in certain situations. IMHO, this computer
> is good for taking (text) notes in class. You could also get the same
> machine for $375 (someplaces $345) and install your own distro and
> audio apps. I helped a friend install Ubuntu on an AspireOne - which
> is how I learned about it's performance (and lots of scrolling around
> to read.)

Recently I measured the CPU load and battery run time of some low-delay
audio DSP on an Asus Eee PC 701 (Intel Celeron M, 630 MHz), and on an
Acer Aspire one (Intel Atom 1.6 GHz). The time spent in the CPU was
pretty much the same for both systems, and the battery runtime was
between 3 and 3 1/2 hours on the Asus (Celeron) and 2 1/2 hours on the
Acer (Atom). Here is the data:

algo1
  Asus: 56.4% CPU, 3h14' battery
  Acer: 51.0% CPU, 2h28' battery
  P4: 20.5% CPU
algo2
  Asus: 49.8% CPU, 3h16' battery
  Acer: 47.5% CPU, 2h09' battery
  P4: 16.5% CPU
algo3
  Asus: 36.5% CPU, 3h22' battery
  Acer: 35.0% CPU, 2h27' battery
  P4: 13.0% CPU

jackd
  Asus: 6.0% CPU
  Acer: 4.8% CPU
  P4: 2.2% CPU

Sound card IRQ handler
  Asus: 4.5% CPU
  Acer: 4.2% CPU
  P4: 1.0% CPU (network interface with netjack)

P4 is Intel Pentium 4 @ 3 GHz. I know this is no perfect benchmarking,
but gives an idea of the processor performance.

Giso