Re: [LAU] : Netjack : like a charm :)

From: <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 21:23:37 EET

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 04:04:57PM +0100, David Adler wrote:
> > You know, in seq24 there is 3 options :
> > Jack Tranposrt
> > Master Jack
> > Master Conditionnal
> > I was the slave. So in my mind, and logically, I checked "Jack Transport"
> > and that's all. Because I am slave I don't need the Master options.
> > But when my friend pressed the play button on his seq24, my "timeline
> > indicator" on the top rigth of the windows in seq24, was disabled. Jack
> > Transport was rolling, but seq24 didn't want to.
> > The only way to make it run is to choose Jack Transport and Master Jack.
> > I think this is a bug in seq24
>
> I guess except for 'Jack Tranposrt' these settings are obsolete now.
>
> According to the JACK API Reference Manual the former transport master
> role has been divided into two layers: timebase master and transport
> control.

its been like this for years now.

> Any client can make transport control requests.
>
> The timebase master is not needed unless extended position information
> like counting beats, timecode, etc. is required. Seq24 does not have
> any of those extended features.

i dont think that is correct.
seq24 does not work without a timebase master.
(either it must be the timebase master itself, or ardour for example
must be running. seq24 is not calculating the beat information based
on transport frames, which are the only transport information available,
without a master.)

> Regarding netjack there is a master machine and a slave machine.
> Transport control requests may come from any client on the master
> machine.

yes. but without a timebase master on the slave machine seq24 hangs.
even when transport is running.

are you one of the new devs ?
if what i say is not clear to you i will provide a patch.
but dont have the time now.
So this has to wait until the weekend i guess.

--
torben Hohn