Re: [LAU] Fedora Core 9, Planet CCRMA, and PulseAudio

From: The Other <theother1510@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 21:38:23 EET

Joe Hartley wrote:
> I did the Fedora 9 installation this afternoon, I've now got the Planet
> working great. I disabled PulseAudio by removing the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> RPM, and used the rpmfusion.org (formerly livna) repositories for the
> useful stuff like video player and MP3 support.
>
> Got the NVidia drivers built against the 2.6.24.7-1 RT kernel painlessly
> too, and my Ardour 2.7.1 build is chugging along fine.

Congratulations, Joe.

To All,

I starting having some kernel faults with
2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc9.ccrmart, so I rebooted back to
2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686. Running without realtime was working for me, so
why not?

But as soon as I rebooted back into 2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686, all sound
output was defaulted back to the motherboard speaker again. This was
without having alsa-plugins-pulseaudio RPM installed.

Okay. I've noticed that sometimes when things like this happen it
helps to reinstall the RPM and then uninstall the RPM. I tried that
but it didn't help.

Then I looked into the /etc/pulse/default.pa file, and went into the
### Load Audio Drivers section and put in this:

load-module module-alsa-sink
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0

and commented out everything in the ### Automatically Load Drivers
section so hal-detect wouldn't be used.

That helped some. But now I think I understand what is causing my
trouble. The motherboard sound chip is getting recognized as hw:0
(default), and the Audigy2 ZS is getting recognized as hw:1.

I think RealPlayer 11 is using hw:0 as the output, hence it's getting
kicked out on the motherboard speaker. In prior versions of ALSA, I
remember a program called alsaconfig (or something close to that) that
let you specify the order of your sound chips/cards. I would always
set the Audigy2 to become hw:0.

I need something like this for PulseAudio. Then some of these older
sound programs which always use hw:0 would be using the Audigy2
instead of the motherboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks All,
Stephen.