Re: [LAU] Solved (I hope) Fedora Core 9, Planet CCRMA, and PulseAudio

From: The Other <theother1510@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 14 2008 - 23:20:11 EET

The Other wrote:
> Then I looked into the /etc/pulse/default.pa file, and went into the
> ### Load Audio Drivers section and put in this:
>
> load-module module-alsa-sink
> load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
>
> and commented out everything in the ### Automatically Load Drivers
> section so hal-detect wouldn't be used.
>

> That helped some. But now I think I understand what is causing my
> trouble. The motherboard sound chip is getting recognized as hw:0
> (default), and the Audigy2 ZS is getting recognized as hw:1.
>
> I think RealPlayer 11 is using hw:0 as the output, hence it's getting
> kicked out on the motherboard speaker. In prior versions of ALSA, I
> remember a program called alsaconfig (or something close to that) that
> let you specify the order of your sound chips/cards. I would always
> set the Audigy2 to become hw:0.
>
> I need something like this for PulseAudio. Then some of these older
> sound programs which always use hw:0 would be using the Audigy2
> instead of the motherboard.

While trying to change the default sound card for hw:0, I looked at
the end of the /etc/pulse/default.pa file. There was a section
labelled ### Make Some Devices Default. This looked very promising.

Somewhere in the PulseAudio documentation I thought I saw something
about being able to use the label for the hardware device. So instead
of saying hw:1,0, I tried using hw:[Audigy2] to specify the device.

In the ### Load Audio Drivers Statically section, I modified my lines to:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:[Audigy2]
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:[Audigy2]

Then in the ### Make Some Devices Default section, I added:

set-default-sink device=hw:[Audigy2]
set-default-source device=hw:[Audigy2]

Saved out and relogged in as a normal user.

Serendipity! I had borked-up the PulseAudio Server so that it
wouldn't connect/initialize/start-up/whatever it does. I was no
longer at the mercy of PulseAudio!

I then removed the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio RPM. Now ALSA is in
control of everything like it was before this upgrade to Fedora Core
9. The motherboard speaker is silent, as it always should be.

I can't run RealAudio 11 (I can configure it, but as soon as I tell it
to play an internet radio stream RealAudio immediately closes itself
and hides.) But I can still use Firefox to play the internet radio
stream, so I'm happy.

The moral of this story: If PulseAudio is making your life miserable,
give it some default sinks and sources that don't exist. PulseAudio
will go away and give you some peace.

Now, do I dare reboot this machine and find out that my method doesn't
really work? No way!

Thanks All,
Stephen.