Re: [LAU] tool for slowing down recordings for practice and transcription

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 11:38:20 EET

Joseph Sheedy wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool with which to slow down recordings so I can
> more easily transcribe melodies. Up to now I've been importing the
> audio into Ardour and using the time stretch tool to create a slower
> copy of the tracks. It's not easy to try different speeds like this
> though. Sometimes I set the playback speed wheel to 50% to hear it at
> half speed down an octave, but that's not great either. I know
> there are some shareware tools out there designed for this, such as
> http://www.practice-perfect.com/transcribe.html. What do you like to use?

I use Audacity for my own practice, and I recommend it to my students
(they're all on Windows, Audacity is cross-platform). The Change Tempo
and Change Pitch functions are wonderful, I use them frequently during
lessons here.

    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's in most distros these days, so check your repo for an installable
package.

Best,

dp