Re: [LAU] recommendations for midi controller keyboard

From: andy baxter <andy@email-addr-hidden-online.co.uk>
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 14:20:24 EET

Jamie McLaughlin wrote:
> Another vote for the Edirol PCR-800. It's brilliant. It also comes in in
> smaller sizes if that's more suitable:

Does the extra money get you a better key action compared to cheaper
keyboards? I'm not too worried about having loads of controls, as I can
always buy (or make) a separate control surface for that.

Also I'm thinking that what I really want from a control surface isn't a
load of pots - it's one or two rotary encoders with a load of push
button switches to assign the encoders to different midi controllers,
and a little screen so you can see what you're doing. That way you can
switch to a different synth sound and have all the controllers pre-set
to their default levels for that synth, which isn't really possible with
pots unless they are motorised.

The idea is if you had a synth sound on the computer with 4 variable
parameters, assigned to midi control messages 1-4, then to change the
value of controller 2 using encoder 1 you would:
- press select button 2 (out of maybe 16 in a matrix).
- press assign button 1 (physically placed next to encoder 1). This
would assign controller 2 to encoder 1.
- the name and current value of the synth parameter would come up on the
screen (say a 2*20 character LCD) so you can see what you're doing.
- you could then turn encoder 1 to alter the value of controller 1. As
you turned the encoder, the value on the screen would be updated, and
the appropriate CC messages sent out.

If anyone knows of any products or free hardware projects like this, it
would be good to know.

andy