Re: [LAU] news: Loomer VST plugins and the pizmidi plugs

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 22:27:41 EET

Dave Phillips schrieb:
> Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Is this a seq24 problem ? Are you using the latest release from the new
> team ?

Yes, it is the latest Seq24 but I must admit, that seq24 is still
somewhat exotic in the MIDI-context, so I would not be surrised, if
Aspect works much better with Qtractor or RG...
At the other hand: *any* other app I tried so far, worked flawless with
seq24....

> Zyn is unsupported, has problems with JACK, needs more default patches,
> and is not exactly transparent to program.

Zyns jackd-trouble is a valid argument, though I did not test Aspect
under really hard circumstances - only on my Laptop with a puny
Behringer USB-card with settings for around 80ms latency. Zyn performs
just perfect with such settings too...

> and is not exactly transparent to program.

You mean to program as in program or as in setting up a sound-patch? In
the latter case I dont agree: I loved the powerful interface of Zyn from
the first time I saw it. It may be time-consuming to get a certain sound
but the whole process is fun and yields a manifold of unpredicted cool
sounds as a side-effect ;-)

> The JUCE development framework is very nice, but apparently few of the
> LAD crew find any attraction in it. Too bad.

I guess, if there would be a commonly used build-machanism delivered
with JOST this could change.

> A better question might be: Would you pay $70US for an enterprising
> Linux audio programmer to provide that function in a plugin or utility ?
> I'd gladly chip into a fund for such a thing, if I needed it.

Well thats some challenge ;-)

I hereby set a bounty of EURO 50,- payable via the infamous pay-pal or
as cash in a letter for anybody who implements such a feature in a free
software delay usable as a standalone and as a LV2-plugin and/or LADSPA
(though I fear, it is hard to achieve if at all with LADSPA...)
Must have: get the timing from Alsa and/or jack MIDI
Nice to have: Beat-detection

Who is with me? :-)

> Agree++, and I will continue to encourage the trend in my articles.

Yes - commercial plugins as a native addition to the Linux-Audio
ecosystem are good - an addition, not a replacement....