Re: [LAU] news: Loomer VST plugins and the pizmidi plugs

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 22:44:49 EET

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:27:41 +0100
Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Dave Phillips schrieb:
> > Hartmut Noack wrote:
>
> > Is this a seq24 problem ? Are you using the latest release from the new
> > team ?
>
> Yes, it is the latest Seq24 but I must admit, that seq24 is still
> somewhat exotic in the MIDI-context, so I would not be surrised, if
> Aspect works much better with Qtractor or RG...
> At the other hand: *any* other app I tried so far, worked flawless with
> seq24....
>

> > Zyn is unsupported, has problems with JACK, needs more default patches,
> > and is not exactly transparent to program.

I'm not sure who is quoting who here, but I'll say that for all it's
problems Zyn, is far and away my synth of choice. I haven't found
another that even comes close. It has to be treated with care, but
nevertheless I can run it happily with jack at 5.2ms latency with very
few problems.

Why does it need more default patches? I thought the whole idea was for
people to create their own sounds, like I do (and a lot of other people
do). Personally, I think people have become too accustomed to having
everything delivered on a plate.

No synth of Zyn's complexity (and flexibility) could be 'transparent' to
program, unless you remove a large chunk of the features that make Zyn
what it is.

My advice to anyone new to Zyn, is always to load a patch that's
somewhere near what you want and start fiddling about. Every time you
get a 'Ooo that's nice' moment *immediately* save that voice, then
carry on. Eventually you get a feel for things and can then start
creating from a clean slate. It takes time and patience, but so does
learning to ride a bike when you're a kid.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk