Re: [LAU] surround sound with stereo usb DACs?

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 15 2009 - 01:20:28 EET

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Bearcat M. ªandor
<HomeTheater@email-addr-hidden-soul.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm slowly building a hi-fi surround system around Trends Audio products. They
> have a nice, little, stereo usb DAC. I am really only looking at wanting 4
> channels for now. I have something like 8 usb2 ports on this computer so i
> have plenty.
>
> Can i have my player (xine or mplayer or what have you) decode the signal be
> it dolby digital, dts, or the blu-ray formats (ha) into channels and then send
> (right and left) out of one usb port and (right rear and left rear) out of a
> second usb port to a pair of these stereo DACs. I assume if i eventually
> wanted an 8 channel system i could so the same thing with more channels?
>
> Is this feasible? Any drawbacks?
>
> Also, those Trends Audio TA-10.1 are awesome.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Bearcat M. ªandor
> Bearcat@email-addr-hidden-soul.net
> Jabber: bearcat@email-addr-hidden-soul.net
> MSN: bearcatsandor@email-addr-hidden
> Yahoo: bearcatsandor
> AIM: bearcatmsandor

Have you thought of buying a decent pci sound card? A PCI solution
would mostly likely be better in almost every way.
You can choose a level of price quality, and > 8 channel out is easy
to find. My echo 3g does that fine, with no arseing around and i would
suspect superior sound quality, if not put and DAC you like on the
ADAT out... ;)

Loki